Saturday 21 September 2019

What to do first…


Some writers like to ring the changes and although they may write in one particular genre, they might also have more than one series going and write standalones, too. This is me.
When I first had my “big idea” in 2009 for an historical series set in an alternate Tudor universe with my hero, apothecary and elemancer (magic using the elements), Luke Ballard, I had no idea this would not cover everything I wanted to write. 
When Harlequin picked up the three planned books in The Tudor Enigma, I worked ten- hour days for over a year, including Christmas to meet my editor’s deadlines. And, to be honest, I became a bit jaded with the Tudors. Then, it was made abundantly clear that the three Luke novels were all the publisher was interested in. I was, and remain, a bit fed up that I cannot write about Luke until 2022 because of contractual obligations, while the publisher makes no effort to help me promote the books. And I have another three plots sitting waiting with ever-decreasing patience.
However, this meant I could return to my first finished book, which needed a complete rewrite, but was set in contemporary times. I eventually ended up with my early-music soprano and general nosy diva, Georgia Pattison. I have to say she has been a joy to write but, once bitten, twice shy, I decided to become an Indie writer and retain total control over my work.
Of course, several years on my interest in history has never abated, but gone backwards  in time from the Tudors to the Wars of the Roses. Even this grew out of the Georgia books. I made her love interest a wrong-side-of-the-blanket descendant of Edward IV. You – and Georgia – first meet him in The Midnight Clear.
Although I am a member of the Richard III Society, it is always Edward who has caught my interest. An unsung battle commander, who won his first battle at the age of 19 and never lost a battle he led. Allegedly, he was unbelievably handsome with a huge appetite for all things sensual, Edward was, until the break with his cousin Warwick, very laid back about forgiving people. And all that changed in 1470.
I found out quite by accident that the leaders of the Lincolnshire uprising of 1470 had a manor house 2 miles from where I lived in rural Lincolnshire. My imagination then conjured a stable lad of 17, who was unusually intelligent and observant. The action of the first chronicle in the Gideon Rooke series takes place around the Battle of Empingham, one of the battles so insignificant it usually only merits a passing mention in the history books. More about that in another blog.
And then life got in the way, as it does. We have recently uprooted from Lincolnshire and moved to a market town in North Yorkshire. However, one consequence is that my writing has been non-existent for about 4 months and now I must start again.
I recently decided the first Gideon book needed an extra dimension, so one of my aims is to re-write the book taking that into account and completely changing the ending. I also need to keep Georgia going. There is the third full-length Georgia Pattison mystery already planned and ready to write, but first I must continue her annual Christmas adventures. 
The first glimmerings of this Christmas offering came last week, so I need to plan that and then get it written by the middle of November, about 3 months later than I normally would. And let’s not forget the standalone, set in 1953 with its origins in the second world war with a heroine who worked in SOE, currently standing at 30,000 words, sitting in the drawer.
Mary, Queen of Scots, at her trial in 1585, knew she was doomed. She is alleged to have said in my end is my beginning. And so with this blog. What to do first?
Rewrite Gideon and get it out about a year later than planned? Ditch Gideon for the moment and get the Christmas Georgia sorted? Finish the standalone? Put some more flesh on the new full-length Georgia? Plan where Gideon will go after the end of book 1? 
I’m still working on deciding that because, naturally, the one thing common sense dictates I do first is the last thing I want to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Schemes, Mice and Men.

      In 1785, Robert Burns wrote one of his most famous poems, “To A Mouse”. It contains the lines:   The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men...